BUTTER RUBBED TURKEY
Butter Rubbed Turkey by Chef Alexa
Butter Rubbed Turkey
Growing up in my family’s catering business, I prepared and served a lot of turkeys. I can’t even guess how much turkey I’ve baked and served since the 1980s. A turkey expert, I run an informal hotline every Thanksgiving, answering calls, texts, and emails from my fowl-loving friends and customers.
To keep it keto, I use a natural turkey from a local farmer. Because this type isn’t frozen, I can easily brine it. This creates a deep flavor often missing or provided by sugar in other turkey recipes. My gluten free, sugar free brine keeps the turkey moist while roasting. Why sacrifice flavor for carbs when serving other foods like KetoLuxe Cranberry Sauce and Whipped Cauliflower with Goat Cheese?
Chef Alexa and the mother with her Butter Rubbed Turkey
An added bonus to cooking a whole turkey is the leftover meat. At my house, the legs and thighs get gobbled up on Thanksgiving. We use the white meat to make Hot Browns the next day. Sometimes, I think that’s the real reason we make the whole one.
The Butter Rubbed Turkey is the star of this Keto, gluten free, sugar free, soy free holiday feast.
Want to enjoy Thanksgiving and keep keto? Let Chef Alexa do the cooking for you. Serve holiday favorites prepared by an award-winning chef. Order now.
2 gallons cold water
2 cups Kosher salt
1 medium onion, quartered
10 cloves fresh garlic
4 fresh bay leaves
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 12-pound turkey
½ cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons Magic Sprinkle
20 sprigs fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh sage
- Mix cold water and salt in a large stockpot until salt dissolved.
- Add onion, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorn, and turkey.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Remove turkey from brine and rinse thoroughly (inside and out) under cold water.
- Pat skin and interior dry with paper towels.
- Fold wings across back of turkey so that tips touch.
- Rub entire turkey (inside and out) with softened butter.
- Sprinkle entire turkey (inside and out) with Magic Sprinkle.
- Fill cavity with thyme and sage.
- Place in roasting pan, breast side up.
- Roast uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Baste turkey with juices.
- Cover breast with aluminum foil tent.
- Lower oven temperature to 325°F.
- Every 30 minutes, remove tent and baste breast. Replace tent.
- Cook until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Let rest 15 minutes before carving.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and sage.
If a fresh, all-natural turkey isn’t available, use one that isn’t injected with a solution. Make sure to thaw in refrigerator for at least 2 days before brining.
Leftovers turkey is good for making Hot Browns, topping salad, and eating right out of the fridge.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING
Net carbs: 0 grams
Total carbs: 0 grams
Fiber: 0 grams
Fat: 15 grams
Protein: 47 grams
Glycemic load: 0