Very few things scream out Fall to me than a warm apple tart drizzled in buttery caramel sauce. I love the textures and the flavor; it is decadence and nostalgia baked up into a slice of heaven. But wait, now I’m keto, what do I do?
At the first hint of Fall. I decided to put my thinking cap on to Ketofy the apple tart. That lead me to a very strange vegetable; the chayote! For years I have seen it; green, bright, wrinkly, tucked in around the ever-popular acorn and butternut squash. I would wonder, “who buys this”? I would watch the other shoppers, but I never seen one person even pick one up. Then my research led me to the chayote as an apple substitute and all-around health food Rockstar.
With a little help, chayote can become your perfect apple pie substitute. To get the crisp, apple like texture, you’ll need to peel it and boil it first, making sure not to overcook it. If you’re from Louisiana, you may know it as Mirliton. Whatever you want to call it, we call this KetoLuxe delicious.
Order Chef Alexa's Caramel Sauce to drizzle over the top of your Chayote Tart.
1 recipe crust
3 cups chayote, peeled and sliced
¼ butter, melted
¼ brown erythritol
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
2 tablespoons butter, cold and diced
2 tablespoons brown erythritol
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400
- Boil the chayote for 10 minutes then drain.
- In a large mixing bowl melt together the butter, brown erythritol, cinnamon, and salt. Blend together.
- Add chayote, tossing to coat completely.
- Arrange on the tart crust.
- Be sure to add all the excess brown erythritol mixture into your tart crust.
- Add butter, brown erythritol, cinnamon in a food processor and pulse until small clumps form.
- Crumbling topping over your prepared Chayote tart.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING WITHOUT CRUST
Net carbs: 1 gram
Total carbs: 7 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Fat: 4 grams
Protein: 0 grams
Glycemic load: 0
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING WITH ALMOND FLOUR TART CRUST
Net carbs: 2 grams
Total carbs: 15 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Fat: 16 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Glycemic load: 0