KETO CHAYOTE TARTE
One of my favorite comfort foods is a tarte. Having lived in France as a child while the Mother attended Le Cordon Bleu, I ate many pastries and tartes. I love the textures and the flavor. It is decadence and nostalgia baked up into a slice of heaven. While we never ate Chayote Tartes during my childhood, I created the recipe to bring back those feelings.
That lead me to a very strange vegetable: the chayote! For years I have seen it, green, bright, and wrinkly, tucked in around the ever-popular acorn and butternut squash. I would wonder “Who buys this?” Then, I would watch the other shoppers, but I never seen one person even pick one up. While researching ingredients to make a keto dessert, I decided to give it a try. My recipe for Chayote Tarte is gluten free, sugar free, and low carb.
With a little help, chayote can become your perfect apple pie substitute. To get the crisp, apple-like texture, you’ll need to peel it and boil it first. Make sure not to overcook it. Serve it for holidays and when you want a taste of comfort food dessert.
Order Chef Alexa's Caramel Sauce to drizzle over the top of your Chayote Tarte.
1 Almond Flour Tarte Crust
3 cups peeled and sliced chayote
¼ cup butter, melted
¼ cup and 2 tablespoons brown erythritol
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
2 tablespoons butter, cold and diced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 ounces KetoLuxe Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Boil the chayote for 10 minutes and then drain.
- In a large bowl mix together the melted butter, ¼ cup brown erythritol, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add chayote, tossing to coat completely.
- Put chayote into the Almond Flour Tarte Crust, arranging so pieces overlap slightly
- If there’s any of the butter mixture left in the bowl, press it into the edges of the crust.
- Add cold butter, remaining brown erythritol, and cinnamon to a food processor bowl and pulse until small clumps form. This will make the crumble topping.
- Drop crumble topping across top of chayote tarte. Cover completely.
- Bake 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and drizzle KetoLuxe Caramel Sauce atop.
- Slice and serve warm on pretty plates.
Sometimes, I like to add a scoop of ice cream or some whipped cream to top the tarte.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING WITHOUT CRUST
Net carbs: 1 gram
Total carbs: 7 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Fat: 4 grams
Protein: 0 grams
Glycemic load: 0