KETO KENTUCKY BOURBON BALLS
Only make Keto Kentucky Bourbon Balls for people that you either love or want to love you.
Kentucky Bourbon Balls
When Sam and I had our wedding celebration, we served Kentucky Bourbon Balls. Our friend Cindy helped us make over 500 of them as part of our wedding favor candy bar. We hand-rolled and hand-dipped the balls just the way Sam’s mom taught her how to do as a child. It was our way of honoring her mom’s memory at the party. As you may know, hand-dipping Kentucky Bourbon Balls are a labor of love. It takes at least two days to make them and only moments to devour them. That, plus the fact that the original recipe is far from keto friendly don’t make them something to just whip out on a regular basis.
A couple of weeks ago, though, KetoLuxe participated in a sales expo in Louisville, Kentucky. This inspired Cindy and me to make a sugar free, gluten free, low carb Kentucky Bourbon Ball. We use the KetoLuxe Gourmet Sugar Free Chocolate Chips for dipping and Powdered Erythritol to replace the sugar. They have been a big hit, selling out quickly (sorry to the people who came back to buy more and found them gone). Not long after that, we used Jack Daniels to make a Tennessee version (again, sorry to those of you who wanted more from the Nashville Southern Women’s Show). Even people who don’t eat sugar free or keto clamored for more!
Here, Sam shows off the Keto Kentucky Bourbon Balls at the Louisville Home and Garden Show before they sold out.
Since those two events, I’ve been inundated with requests for more of these Kentucky Bourbon Balls (and the Jack Daniels version). However, I don’t think they would ship well. That’s why I’m sharing the recipe. Make these if you love boozy balls. Or if you have a friend or family member who loves liquor combined with chocolate, pecans, and butter. I guarantee that you will be showered with love and affection. At the shows, we literally had people jumping with joy and hugging us when they sampled them.
1 cup chopped pecans
5 tablespoons Kentucky Bourbon (of Jack Daniel’s Whiskey)
½ cup butter, softened
16 ounces KetoLuxe Powdered Erythritol
16 ounces KetoLuxe Gourmet Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
2 ounces coconut oil
4 cups pecan halves (about 50 pieces)
- In a small container, combine chopped pecans and Kentucky Bourbon. Cover and let set overnight at room temperature.
- The next day, beat together butter and KetoLuxe Powdered Erythritol until fluffy.
- Beat in the chopped pecans until combined.
- Using a ½ ounce scoop, portion out the mixture and roll into balls. Place ball centers onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Do not let them touch.
- Place balls into the freezer until firm (generally overnight).
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips with coconut oil. Remove from heat.
- Very carefully dip the ball centers into the chocolate, placing on a parchment paper lined sheet pan.
- Immediately after dipping each ball, top with 1 pecan half.
- Chill until chocolate is firm.
- Eat within a week (stored at room temperature out of direct sunlight) or freeze for up to 3 months.
Don’t want to use Kentucky Bourbon or Jack Daniels? Substitute your favorite booze. I suggest dark rum.
You could rush the process of chilling and dipping to be a couple of hours. However, the chopped pecans must macerate overnight to impart the most flavor.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING
Net carbs: 2 grams
Sugar alcohols: 5 grams
Total carbs: 9 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Fat: 13 grams
Protein: 2 grams
Sodium: 23 milligrams
Glycemic load: 0