My recipe for Keto Tzatziki is an adaptation of a recipe that the Mother and my sister Quinn learned in Greece.
About ten years ago, my sister Quinn performed at the Half Note in Athens. She and the Mother stayed at a hotel where they ate a lot of Tzatziki. The Yiayia who did all of cooking for them shared her recipe. When they returned home, the Mother went on a tzatziki frenzy. We ate it on everything: salmon, chicken, shrimp, chips, and anything else that held still.
Chef Alexa shreds and drains English cucumber to make this recipe fail-proof. No need to deseed or worry about a watery sauce.
Now that we eat keto, I had to revise the recipe to be low carb. There was no way I was going to live without my favorite condiment. I swap out yogurt with all natural sour cream to knock out those carbs. This recipe is gluten-free, sugar-free, and delicious. To me, the best flavor is when the Tzatziki is made the day before, making it a perfect party or meal prep food.
Click here to watch how easy it is to shred and drain a cucumber. If you like my demo video, please give it a thumbs up!
1 large English cucumber
2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint
½ teaspoon pepper
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Greek olive oil
- Finely grate the English cucumber into a strainer.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt and allow to drain for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, mint, remaining teaspoon salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Press out as much remaining moisture as possible from cucumber.
- Add cucumber to mixture in bowl and combine.
- Before serving, place into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
In a pinch, dried dill and mint can be used. Just reduce to 1 teaspoon each.
Store in an air-tight container until ready to serve.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING
Net carbs: 2 grams
Sugar alcohol: 0
Total carbs: 2 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Fat: 5 grams
Protein: 1 gram
Sodium: 22 milligrams
Glycemic load: 0