When I attended Interlochen Arts Academy, I lived on the same floor as bun heads. They would stretch and do their ballet exercises in the hallway. There are terrible secrets lurking under those delicate shoes. I am not a fan.
However, I love Pavlovas. This airy, cloud-like dessert floats across the tongue. It redeems the whole idea of ballerinas. The grace with which it dances on taste buds brings to mind the beauty of a classic ballet. I made it keto without sacrificing any of what makes it fabulous.
Enjoy a Pavlova anytime of the year. You don’t have to wait for Christmas.
In New Zealand and Australia, Pavlovas are the national dessert. In the Land Down Under, they know you don’t have to wait for Christmas to indulge in watching ballet or eating meringues.
With the KetoLuxe version, you can also amaze your guests anytime of the year with light dessert. They won’t believe you didn’t have to practice for years to make this sugar free, low carb, soy free, dessert recipe.
Sam and I show off the Pavlova on Inside Indiana Business with Gerry Dick. We had a wonderful time telling Kylie about KetoLuxe.
When Sam I went on Inside Indiana Business with Gerry Dick to talk about KetoLuxe, I put the dish together in the waiting room. I pulled out my prewashed berries, crust, and topping so that it would be fresh and delicious. No one knew what to think! But they enjoyed the crunch and silkiness.
4 large egg whites
½ cup powdered Swerve*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon xaynthan gum
¼ cup crème fraiche
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut a nine-inch circle of parchment paper. Place on baking tray.
- With a mixer, beat egg whites for five minutes.
- Sprinkle cream of tartar and xanthan gum into bowl. Let beat until just combined.
- Add half the Swerve and beat until combined. Add the rest of the Swerve and beat until that is combined, too.
- Add vanilla extract to the mixing bowl. Beat until meringue has glossy stiff peaks, about two minutes or so.
- Spread meringue around on parchment paper, covering entire circle. Leave edges raised to hold in toppings.
- Place it in the oven. Immediately turn the temperature down to 200°F
- Bake for 90 minutes. Do not open oven during this time.
- Allow meringue to cool in the oven for at least an hour. If you need to hold the shell for more than a day, keep it in the oven (make sure off).
- Fold together crème fraiche and whipped cream until just mixed.
- Spread topping into the center of the meringue, leaving raised edge bare.
- Sprinkle berries atop.
- Cut into 12 triangles to serve.
Pavlovas are not intended to be made ahead. Make the topping and assemble right before serving.
This dessert should be consumed immediately. If you try to keep it in the refrigerator, the meringue will become gummy and unappealing.
*Disclaimer: Thank you to Swerve for providing free samples of your products to be used in recipes for this blog. I’ve been a big fan of Swerve since I discovered it when attempting to make sugar-free marshmallows about 8 years ago. While it didn’t work out for that, I knew it would be perfect for KetoLuxe. All thoughts and opinions are my own, not influenced by the company or affiliates in any way.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING
Net carbs: 1.1 grams
Total carbs: 7.6 grams
Fiber: 0.5 grams
Fat: 4.9 grams
Protein: 1.7 grams
Glycemic load: 0.4